second BJP Review 1DsMkIII

Started Feb 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John W Peterson Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
second BJP Review 1DsMkIII

From the Feb 6, 2008 issue, written by Adam Woolfit.

Entitled "High and Mighty", this is basically a follow up, and more in depth review of the 1DsMkIII that addressed issues such as IQ from raw files and some lens limitations.

This is certainly not one of those reviews that invites you to just skip to the punchline as many are prone to do. His basic conlcusion about the camera is a very positive one, with some caveats.

"This is not a camera that is going to produce superb results as easily or simply as the canon 5D or 40D. It requires a considerable amount of care and effort in post procesing to get the best from the sensor and camera, and I feel my initial results are only have way to achieving what is probably possible."

"I do think the camera has the ability to produce stunning images, certainly I produced images that surprised me by their very high quality made under horribly testing mixed lighting conditions and at high iso ratings."

"Of course there is noise at iso1600 but it is similar to the pleasantly tight grain of film. And I certainly did not see the serious noise problems that others have reported. Nor did I see and problem with misalignment of the sensor, resulting in a lopsided horizon,, that has excercised many pros on web forums recently. But then I would expect a review camera to be a flawless sample..."

"...A more serious problem however is that much of Canon's current lens range is barely up to the demands of such a high-resolution sensor. After the 1DsMkII was launched, serious concerns were raised on professional forums about the generous barrel distortion, poor chromatic performance and resolution fall off with some zooms - even top of the line 'L' series lens's costing more then L1000."

"However, for this review I was lent a new Mk II series 16-35 zoom, which performed extrememly well. I also had an 85mm f1.2 which was superb, and a 50mm f2.8 macro which worked a treat. But a lot of my older lens's simply cannot hack it. On sorry victem is the 24mm tilt-and-shift which has been a golden standby of mine for 15 years or more, and was the reason I first changed from nikon to canon...."

"...so Canon can longer afford the casual arrogance with which it has treated reported problems in recent months. The balance of power between the Big Two is now much more finely atuned"

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jgb
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow