How does the D3 achieve such high ISO?

Started Feb 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
OP SDRebel Senior Member • Posts: 1,489
Re: How many times do you have to be told?

I hear you.

I had a 5D and sold it upon taking delivery of my 1Ds3.

My 5D did not allow me to set ISO at 12800. Nor did it allow, so far as I knew when I owned it, to get the results I've seen posted for the D3.

Please show me 5D results that match the D3 at these high ISO conditions. I may not have known how to the use the camera and may have made a great mistake selling it. If you can demonstrate that to me, I can probably sell my 1Ds3, given current availability, for more than I paid for it and buy back a 5D.

As for definitive answers, you were obviously satisfied by the first comment that the 5D and 3D have larger sensors -- a fact of which I was well aware.

However, contrary to your assertion, some people have suggested that with my 1Ds3 I can obtain high ISO results. I've been experimenting and am so far amazed at what I can obtain. I just don't know how those results compare to the D3.

Finally, if I understand you correctly, in your opinion Nikon has produced nothing in the way of new technology with the D3. It's just a 5D at a higher price as far as ISO goes. Am I correct?

Anyway, no doubt I am much slower than you in understanding these issues. Please have patience. Surely in school you had to put up with people like me. Sorry. Thankfully others are more compassionate.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow