How does the D3 achieve such high ISO?

Started Feb 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
OP SDRebel Senior Member • Posts: 1,489
I want high ISO

It isn't the end of the world; however, I want Canon to provide me the high ISO option the D3 achieves.

If that requires a tradeoff, then I may find the price of high ISO isn't worth paying, e.g., in lower quality files at other ISO settings.

But, if higher ISO can easily be provided by Canon with no significant tradeoff, then I would like to see a firmware upgrade, if that is possible.

I follow your point, yet I see it as engaging in a discussion similar to one I remember of whether or not carburators would inevitably be replaced by fuel injection.

The first thing I needed to know in that discussion was what fuel injection did that carburators didn't, if anything. Or, was fuel injection just marketing hype? Well, the answer has been in for a long time now; but in the beginning it generated quite a bit of discussion and required a learning curve.

So, again, how has Nikon accomplished the high ISO provided by the D3? Can Canon provide it in the 1Ds3 with a firmware upgrade or will it have to await a new sensor design? Is there a tradeoff that makes high ISO ultimately undesirable for most shooting conditions, given even the Nikon technology?

I still am not certain that I've read any definitive answers to my initial questions.

Many thanks for your thoughts -- I enjoy learning as well as I enjoy shooting with my 1Ds3 with the technology is presently offers even if that is limited for the moment to ISO 3200.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow