How does the D3 achieve such high ISO?

Started Feb 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
PIXmantra Senior Member • Posts: 1,637
Well, this does not seem to be true...

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Honor wrote:

The Canon 1Dm3 sensor has better high ISO than the Nikon D3. period.

I own both cameras, and have tested both extensively. I do not rely
on other's test results, which are too easy to misinterpret.

...But the same thing could be said about your tests or conclusions (which I do observe, BTW).

Fact #1: Quantum efficiency is significantly higher on the D3,
yielding greatly reduced shot noise.

...It is higher but not as efficiently coupled with its actual Full Well capacity. As a result, you can achieve higher dynamic range with the 1D3, and a better or more-balanced distribution of sensitivity and performance that includes ISO50.

Fact #2: Read noise levels are nearly the same on the two cameras,
across the ISO range.

Well, the 1D3 seems to have LOWER levels of read-out noise, indeed. This is exactly what allows it to attain to a slightly larger dynamic range, at ISO100, than anything the D3 can attain at any ISO... And that is with substantially SMALLER, 7.2 micron sensels! :-)))

Fact #3: The D3 has in-camera NR which significantly improves IQ of
its JPEG output.

...Oh yes, this is undeniable... but that does not change the underlying or underpinnings.

The result: The D3 is superior across the board, in its RAW output,
and its advantages regarding JPEG output are even greater.

The D3 shows its 0.5EV advantage in the ISO2000-ISO4000 range... but it actually seems to offer DISADVANTAGES at any other lower step of the scale. That is thanks to 1D3 usable (and superior) ISO50-ISO200 performance and dynamic range, not to mention superior per-pixel quality and sharpness, most notably in .JPGs images (the 1D3 are clearly more detailed and sharp, with less sharpening effort), all the way up to ISO3200.

If you insist on continuing to believe the Mk III is the equal of the
D3, you are entitled to your opinion

...Well, R. Clark's finding do not seem to be very aligned to yours (notice the Perceived Image Quality model that brings noise and sharpness together):

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.sensor.performance.summary/index.html

At the end, the result boils down to:

1. NIKON D3 is almost exclusively tuned for High-ISO shooting (but NOT up to ISo25+ is hyped. It actually maxes out at ISO4000-6400). Actual, real advantage in THAT range is about +0.5EV.

2. EOS 1D MarkIII is tuned to be used accross pretty much everything, from low-light captures up to ISO3200 to day-light scorching scenes or fill-in-flash needs at ISO50-ISO100 due to less sync. speed required, which is UNATAINABLE on D3.

1. 2 for me and my needs, please. I know you will be very happy with #1, but that would be at the expense of other precious things, that is.

Enjoy!

but I see you as no wiser than

those who continue to insist that the earth is flat.

As far as the 1DSm3 it should have same ISO as the 1dS2 since Canon
stated the photodiode pitch in a pixel has been kept the same even
though the pixel area is smaller. Only the light insensitive portion
of the pixel was stripped out.

This same argument was made regarding the 1D Mk III vs. the 1D Mk II.
The truth is that the Mk III ended up with a smaller full well
capacity.

Here is proof of the superior ISO from the 1D3 over the Nikon D3.

If you think that is proof, you obviously had your mind made up
before you even read it.

-- hide signature --

'What we do in life, echoes in eternity...'

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow