How does the D3 achieve such high ISO?

Started Feb 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
OP SDRebel Senior Member • Posts: 1,489
No free lunch?

Thanks for your comments.

I've conducted a quick test at ISO 1000, 1250, 1600, and 3200 with the 1Ds3 in M so I could have an identical shutter speed and aperture.

The lighting conditions were identical, but to get a print I had to boost exposure on all the shots. I used PS auto exposure on all files.

There was more noise and less detail as ISO increased, but the 3200 ISO file was certainly acceptable for a shot in low light.

I try the same test using flash next.

Unfortunately, I don't have a D3. But, from your comment what I understand is that as the ISO goes up to 6400, etc., I'll simply see incrementally more noise and loss of detail.

At this point my thought is that I wish Canon would provide the option of ISO 6400, 12800, and 25600 and let me worry about whether the result is or is not acceptable.

In other words, that's what I understand from your comment Nikon has done, i.e., simply provide via software the option of these high ISO settings.

Two questions remain for me. One, could Canon provide this option with a firmware upgrade? Second, if the option was provided, would the 1Ds3 results better those of the D3?

In a sense I don't care about the second question since I'm not going to be switching to Nikon at this point.

I'm just learning what the 1Ds3 offers and so far the results have been delightful.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow