How does the D3 achieve such high ISO?

Started Feb 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,788
Do your own testing, please

Honor wrote:

The Canon 1Dm3 sensor has better high ISO than the Nikon D3. period.

I own both cameras, and have tested both extensively. I do not rely on other's test results, which are too easy to misinterpret.

Fact #1: Quantum efficiency is significantly higher on the D3, yielding greatly reduced shot noise.

Fact #2: Read noise levels are nearly the same on the two cameras, across the ISO range.

Fact #3: The D3 has in-camera NR which significantly improves IQ of its JPEG output.

The result: The D3 is superior across the board, in its RAW output, and its advantages regarding JPEG output are even greater.

If you insist on continuing to believe the Mk III is the equal of the D3, you are entitled to your opinion, but I see you as no wiser than those who continue to insist that the earth is flat.

As far as the 1DSm3 it should have same ISO as the 1dS2 since Canon
stated the photodiode pitch in a pixel has been kept the same even
though the pixel area is smaller. Only the light insensitive portion
of the pixel was stripped out.

This same argument was made regarding the 1D Mk III vs. the 1D Mk II. The truth is that the Mk III ended up with a smaller full well capacity.

Here is proof of the superior ISO from the 1D3 over the Nikon D3.

If you think that is proof, you obviously had your mind made up before you even read it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow