I am a troll

Started Feb 16, 2008 | Discussions thread
OP genotypewriter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,846
Re: I have a question if you don't mind first

Why are you not wanting a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS ? I assume that the
color has nothing to do about it ...

Sorry, but I'll copy and paste a reply I wrote to someone else on this question as I have a feeling that I'll be repeating this a lot

Q: "What types of things do you want to shoot with the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR?"

To quote myself... "In general, I want a zoom in that range with constant f/2.8 and stabilisation. Why the Nikon over the Canon? A lot of credible reviews mention and demonstrate that the Canon one isn't that great in the full wide and full tele ends when wide open. I haven't heard of any such issues with the Nikon version. There seems to be a significant IQ gap between the Canon 70-200 f/4 IS (2006) and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS (2001), where the f/4 IS is better in terms of CA, sharpness, corner-to-corner consistency. I bought a Canon f/4 IS for now. I don't want to down-grade the great IQ I get all the time now just for f/2.8 which I'll be using only some of the time... but with the Nikon version, I get a better deal in terms of IQ."

Nikon makes 2 versions of the 70-200 VR, a black one and a light grey
one (almost white) Just infos ...

Yup... saw that. Thanks.

If you were to get an AF-S vr 70-200 2.8G from Nikon, you should get
a Nikion body to get along with that lens to make it optimal and
getting for example a D300 with the 70-200 Nikon, you probably never
use the 40D even afterwards ...

Yes... I've been thinking about getting a D300 or a S5 Pro... I'm more inclined to go with the Fuji because of the Super CCD SR's DR. Since it seems that Fuji might announce a newer S-range later this year (if they follow the 2 year cycles they've had so far... touch wood), I've settled for a Canon 70-200 f/4 IS for the time being, which is a fantastic lens if not for f/4 (troll?).

(I trolled back at you I know).

That's what we forum people do

Seriously, I can't think of any reasons to not get the Canon white
70-200 IS since you already have the body.

Although I'd agree that the differences might not justify the costs involved in going for a new body, how can one deny a 9 blade aperture for an 8 blade one? I'm just kidding... actually I'm also interested in learning another system.

GTW
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/genotypewriter

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LSR
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow