... since what setting to use highly depending on your preference and personal taste, as well the type of photos you shoot the most.
For me, this is how I set – I am sure everyone sets it differently…
Sharpness: I increase the sharpness by 2 notches above the default – I tested it first by shoot a bunch of images, each with a different setting, and then select the one that fits my taste the best. I found that if you set it to maximum, it will create purple fringe effect on images.
Saturation: I set it 2 or 3 notches above the default at 5 or 6, but not the maximum 7. I think that gives me the level I need for general walk around shooting;
Contrast: I first tuned it up by 1 notch, but I found it to be too much, as the dark areas of most of the images appears too dark, so I tuned it down to the factory default;
2) Neutral and Faithful:
I leave them at the factory settings, since I wanted the “faithful” mode to be as “faithful” as possible, except for Neutral I increased Sharpness by one. Personally, I like to get the image to what I like as much as possible in camera, rather than do the whole change in PP, so I don’t use these modes often.
I set the sharpness setting to be the same as Standard, but Saturation one level higher, since for landscape you would need more blue skies and greener grass, etc.
4) I also installed the Clear style, but found it’s contrast is little bit too high for my taste, so I have not used it much – I don’t like to shoot in hazy days without much lighting anyway. May be I need to go live a heavily air polluted city to appreciate this mode…
5) I also installed the Autumn and Twilight styles too. I found the Twilight style too much purple-blue than what I would like, so I don’t use it often either.
6) I set the remaining customer one to be based on Landscape, and with increased contrast and sharpness, so I can pick it quickly for comparison shots when I see a scene I really like.
These are by no mean the best settings, and I am sure others will pitch in to tell you how they set the different styles….
Good luck and have fun!
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|Windswept juniper by Kreber|
from Wind power
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4