Canon Pixma Pro9500 - Tips, News and Notes.

Started Feb 5, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dwa1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,451

I am certainly NOT the "guru" for this printer. I just wanted start a thread so that we could all gain some more insight into this fairly new piece of equipment.

Canon Pro9500 Windows XP printer driver notes...

Latest version for Windows is 2.12. (posted Dec 18, 2007). Caution! - When you click the "Drivers & Downloads" tab it will take a few extra seconds to display the additional download info. Then you need to select your OS. So far, the only change that I have noticed is that Canon has added the Photo Paper Plus Glossy II media setting. Try finding that PPP "Glossy II" paper on the shelves of the local office supply stores!

After installing the new driver, don't forget to reset your preferred settings.

For those using color profiles it's "mandatory" to do the following: Use the "Printing Preferences" button (on the "General" tab). Then, on the "Main" tab in the "Color/Intensity" section, set the option to "Manual", then use the "Set" button, then change the "Color Correction" option to "None". Otherwise, your profiles may be a "waste".

Spyder3 PrintFix users...

For those using Spyder3 PrintFix to generate their own custom profiles for each paper, I suggest that you use the program that you will be printing with (CS3, Elements, Qimage, etc.) to print the Spyder3 profile target sheet. You will find a TIF file in the "Targets" folder within the Spyder3 installation folders.

1.38 inch margin issues for Fine Art Paper media settings...

We (some other posters and I) are still working in this. I ran out of the samples of Canon Fine Art Premium Matte Paper, so this is still ongoing. Please refer to the posts in the following thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1003&thread=26502660

Ink Usage...

This is my first photo printer, so I don't have any comparisons. Also, the ink tank capacity is nowhere to be found - not on the supplied ink tanks, documentation, Canon website, brochures, etc. Another one of the many mysteries of the universe. However, prior to investing in this printer, someone had suggested 14 ml.

Print permanence ratings from Wilhelm Research for the Pro9500...

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/canon/9500.html

Notice that they have only published test results for 2 of Canon's papers so far.

Experience with various papers...

I have profiled all papers that I have used. In order of my preference (just one person's opinion):

1 - Ilford Premium Photo Pearl Paper (has the "Ilford Printasia" trademark - gives great detail - better than Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl Paper).

2 - Canon Fine Art Premium Matter Paper (when used with the "compulsory" media setting). I love the results with this paper / media setting. Very fine details. No reflections (great for home theater decor?).

3 - Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss.

4 - Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl Paper.

I would like to try the following papers...

HP Advanced Soft-gloss (because of the Wilhelm Research results with the Hp 9180 - pigment inks).

Some type of Canvas that would have a good print permanence rating (I want to try some "gallery wraps").

For more info with other poster's "paper" experiences, you can refer to the same "1.38 inch margin issues for Fine Art Paper" thread as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Some of the Canon paper product numbers...

I'm guessing that the first 5 characters of the mfgr number is the paper type. You can search your supplier's websites with the 5-character "prefix".

1263B007 FA Premium Matte 13x19 - Qty 20
1686B031 PPP SG 13x19 - Qty 20
1686B020 PPP SG Letter - Qty 20

The link for Canon's "canned" profiles...

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=PrinterProfileAct

Much thanks to all past, present & future Canon Pixma Pro9500 posters.

Wayne (a.k.a. DWA1).

dwa1's gear list:dwa1's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7200 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
GKN
GKN
GKN
GKN
GKN
GKN
GKN
GKN
GKN
GKN
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow