Switching Over from Canon To Nikon Please Help

Started Jan 31, 2008 | Discussions thread
Phil Tower Regular Member • Posts: 223
Congratulations

I made a move similar to yours several weeks ago, although I sold most of my Canon glass on the FM site with little hassle. It went fast.

I got the D3 with the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200VR, and the SB800. I gave up a good collection of L primes, but candidly I'm not missing them and the clutter. The Nikon zooms are awesome.

Mine was largely an emotional decision. I had just had it with Canon. I think that Nikon users are more rational and objective than many of the Canon fanboys and some of the rational advice you received from them to stay with Canon was certainly compelling to a certain extent. But I will bet you will notice the almost dead silence over here when it comes to the subject of back focusing, front focusing, focus shifts and just shoddy QC compared to the Canon board. And you'll look pretty long and hard to find the serious complaints over technical issues with the D3 that are common place over at the Canon board with respect to the 1D3.

I still have the 1d3 just back from Virginia. I must admit, I am having trouble putting the 1D3 and my 100-400 up for sale. I want something with more reach than I currently have with the D3. I have the Nikon 1.4 tc, which helps with the 70-200 VR. But I have had my eye on the Nikon 300mm 2.8 or the 200-400 (either of which I could finance with the sale of the 1D3 and the 100-400. Alternatively, I have a D300/70-300 kit sitting unopened in a box that I must return by Monday if I'm not going to keep that.

I'm thinking that the D300 with the 70-200 and 1.4tc is a lot easier to carry around than the D3/70-200 and 200-400 combo. Plus the 70-300 is just kind of a bonus daytime walk-around lens.

The quality of the 200-400 is difficult to resist, but I'm afraid it would get left at home while the D300/1.4tc would fit neatly in my bag with the mainstay of my D3 and the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 part of my system. And my back up camera would be wonderful in and of itself. It also would serve me better when I want to travel really light.

The D3 takes some getting used to, and I do wish it had dust removal. But over all I'm very glad I made the switch.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Phil Tower

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow