Free ride? I'll say

Started May 4, 2002 | Discussions thread
David Barkin Senior Member • Posts: 1,970
Re: You couldn't have said it better.

Hi Gene and Airnee

Since I own a variety of computers for my business as a graphics artist I must disagree with two of the kernals of Airnee's post, i.e. that the problems with Windows stability is the fault of the drivers. My second disagreement is with the statement that all the companies are alike.

First, most peripherals that I use, one way or the other work with all three platforms I use (Windows, Mac and Atari). It's certainly a challenge to get my Atari to use things but I have no problems with Mac. While many comnputer users are under the impression that Microsoft invented plug and play I'm afraid that is just another thing that Bill Gates took credit for and the fact is, by your own post, that Windows is not plug and play, more like plug and crash. Where did you get the idea that Mac's only work with specific Mac products. The developers merely have to write a driver. There's certainly a greater choice of software for Windows, and this is a refection of the market. In and of itself not a criticism of Microsoft.

The second point is quite true as far as it goes. They are all ruthless. They are not in this business for my health, they are in it to make money - As I would be. There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to make money.

The bottom line here is whether Microsofts actions hurt the consummer vis a vi other companies. Now you have your computer and it does what you want so your thinking stops there. Does it crash alot? Hey so what, you back-up and save right?

So what if what if numerous better products are squelched. You never even heard of them. The important question for the user is not OS compatibility but rather file compatibility. Microsoft wages war on the consummer to the point where they are not making ruthless business decisions but rather illeagal business decisions. This is the point where I draw the line.

Believe it or not but there are many, many browsers out there. When you buy a Mac they include both Netscape and Internet Explorer. There are at least five alternatives that I know besides these two. The OEM's would include them all if they could, but you have no choice in this question. When you buy a machine with WINDOWS it comes with IE period.

Dave

Gene Miller wrote:
I am in full agreement with you. You hit the nail on the head, but
the people who blame Microsoft for everything will never accept
what you said. Take care.

Airnee wrote:
Does MS play dirty? yes they do but so do a lot of
other companies out there so they are just playing the game the
same way the others do. I have always wondered what would happen
if MS was forced to remove the ie from windows? Does that mean that
we the consumer are stuck to go out there and buy a web browser? I
do not really see how MS is harming the consumer, their prices are
high, but so are the prices of all the other software developers.
The crashing issue... windows computers crash a lot mac does not,
linux does not blablabla. Well Mac most likely does not crash
because it only needs to support hardware that was designed for mac
by mac, and maybe a handfull of third party periherals, naturally
that makes a more stable system with less options though. Linux
does not have its own hardware but again only a handfull of
peripherals are supported by lunix so again an easier job. Now we
get to windows which needs to support every single piece of
equipment there is a whole lot more to go wrong there. Then the
question comes is it MS's fault that the computer crashes, or is it
the driver from company X that caused the crash but MS gets the
blame for it? I am not an expert on the issue, but this is how I
see it.

Malibuss66 wrote:

What's with the "From Nikon:" "From Adobe:" etc?? Why does
Microsoft continue to use other people's work to advertise their
products?

If you don't know about digital photography, don't make a digital
photography site. Pure and simple!

-- hide signature --

C700uz, E100rs
http://www.pbase.com/gene
Life is just a stage and we all have enough pictures to proof it!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow