Switching Over from Canon To Nikon Please Help

Started Jan 31, 2008 | Discussions thread
JoostA Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: Go for it!

Well, I don't know about the 1ds mark III, but I sold my 1d mark III and I made the switch very recently after being a Canon shooter ever since the EOS 5 Eye Control film body. Interestingly enough, I bought almost the same stuff:
D3
24-70 f/2.8G
70-200 F/2.8G VR
105 f/2.8 VR Micro
85mm f/1.4D
3xSB-800s

and almost broke even. I am very VERY happy I made the switch. The D3 is excellent, and all the lenses I bought are incredible! I am very sure the 24-70, the 70-200 and the 105mm micro are better than their respective Canon counterparts, although to be fair, these Nikon lenses have all been released very recently compared to their respective Canon cousins. I even think the (much cheaper and lighter) 85mm f/1.4 gives the Canon 85mm f/1.2 a run for its money.

I did have to get used to a few things, but even after finally receiving my D3 only a few days ago, I can honestly say that I prefer the Nikon system, performance and ergonomics overall (and I never thought I'd say that).

All things you have read about are generally true, although there is a bit of hype going, so it might need a little grounding. The only things I miss from the Canon 1d mark III are the distribution of the 19 cross-type AF points as well as the ergonomics of the vertical grip and the secondairy control wheel (the one below the shutter release). If you're used to turning that wheel with your index finger (which I am) then the position and angle of the Nikon wheel is awkward. However, this morning I realised I could turn the wheel with my middle finger while keeping the index finger on the shutter release.

As for the AF points, Nikon will let you choose any of the 51 (which is better), but if you shoot in portrait orientation or have any subject on the line of thirds, you will but 'stuck with' a non cross-type AF point, which works fine in most cases, but in low light/low contrast situations, I have found them to be inaccurate.

One other thing I liked about the 1d mark III is the Exposure Compensation scales: they included an index for FEC. Also, if you had dialed in EC or FEC, there was a pictogram warning you of this in the viewfinder. On the other hand, what I like about the Nikon viewfinder (apart from its size) is the ability to see what program mode you're shooting in. Then you can change the program mode without removing the camera from your eye, as opposed to Canon which only showed when you were in Manual mode.

In short, the Nikon system is wonderful:
-great IQ, both from the sensor and the lenses
-great AF (scene recognition works great with tele lenses)
-great Auto WB
-auto ISO

-great flash system (it allows much more control and is more versatile with iTTL, iTTL BL and AA)
-great ergonomics overall

-great functions (like a programmable Function button or AA mode with the SB-800)

-easier access to important settings like MLU, slow synch, rear curtain synch, etc.
-Double CF card with UDMA support, for much greater reading/writing
-incredible TFT screen

-Nikon F-mount, which allows great old-timers or Carl Zeiss glass to be attached.
-better Live view with 2 AF options as opposed to none on the 1d mark III

and you'll find a lot of small things are better thought-out than I'm used to. Take the Nikon lens cap as a prime example: It's much easier to remove when you have a deep lens hood. I also like the locking system for the SB-800, it's even better than the new 580exII.

There are dozens of other things that I might've mentioned instead, but this is just off the top of my head. I say go for it and enjoy!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow