Free ride? I'll say

Started May 4, 2002 | Discussions thread
Eugene Chan Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: Enjoy the ride

Um, wake up, man. I paid $1000 for Microsoft Office Developer Edition just 2 years ago. Microsoft charges $299 retail for a desktop OS capable of running computers with more than one processor. Apple charges $129.

USB became popular when? In late 1998, the iMac was introduced with no legacy ports. Why do you think many USB hubs and other devices are translucent blue to this day? Microsoft has a habit of not being innovative since it has so much legacy support to account for. If you look at the latest debacle, it's DVD-RW vs DVD+RW. Instead of hooking support for both into Windows, MS has chosen DVD+RW, which is the losing format right now. And it's not losing because it's inferior, it's losing because HP and Philips are incompetent...and make false promises.

Microsoft hates competition, you can read Bill Gates's latest testimony where he talks about the Mac version of Microsoft Office and how "competition is bad." You should also read up on how QuickTime almost always breaks with any major Windows release. Or you can read about how MS is trying to destroy OpenGL with Direct3D. Or you can read about .NET vs Java or any other market where MS is trying to bully its way to supremacy.

Heck can't even come up with their own slogan. And like I said before, MS doesn't even provide you the necessary tools to "Shoot it, Organize it, Fix it, Share it." What are you going to fix your photos with? MS Paint? Give us a break!

Larry Young wrote:

I am a photographer wannabe but a software programmer by trade,
which by the way includes many MSFT bashers. Microsoft has in so
many ways done things to help advance technology. Everyone wants
to kill them including SUN and Oracle. If Microsoft was not around
you would be paying thousands of dollars for software. Even when
Microsoft has not been the developer they have been the promoter.
They have pushed USB for example which allows you to more easily
transfer data from the camera to the PC. Please no flames about
USB. I know there is Firewire. Firewire may be better but just
consider it to be a competitive technology. Without Apple, Intel,
Microsoft and of course IBM forgetting about proprietary systems
for a brief moment in time we would be purchasing $10,000 PC's
instead of $1200.00 with software in the thousands.

Microsoft is a very good competitor to say the least. They know
how to develop a product and grab market share. Wake up they did
not invent this way of doing business. Everyone wants to win
market share.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow