Free ride? I'll say

Started May 4, 2002 | Discussions thread
DCsince89 Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Enjoy the ride

Larry Young wrote:

Microsoft has not killed any company. They lost because management
was weak ie Netscape or the product was not as good, gee netscape.
I would say the one company they probably killed is FTP software.
Otherwise every company trys to gain market share and weaken the
competition. Do you think Canon is saying, "lets make sure we
don't take too many customers from Nikon". Don't confuse
Microsofts competitive spirit with being mean spirited. That is
one thing they did not invent. All companies are out for market
share.

Larry, Larry, Larry...

One of the industry analsis published a list recently of all the companies MS has put out of business and it totaled more than 50 they were directly involved in and 100 through one of their 'investments.' If I find the article I'll post a link.

One company I can think of off the top of my head is Stacker out of Utah IIRC. They had a great product and MS wanted the code to include in Windows. So MS struck up a deal with them and Stacker wrote code. Right before the release of Windows (98 IIRC) MS cancels the contract with Stacker. Windows ships and what does it include? The code for Stacker. Of course Stacker is a little company and doesn't have the financial resources that MS does but they still go to court. Because they're running out of money to fight the battle and sales have dropped MORE than 90% (according to financial info. released to the courts), they have no choice but to settle out of court with MS. Upside is MS pays them off so they're not gone w/o some money. Downside is MS kills of a company by STEALING their code and then paying them LESS in a settlement than the contract would have required.

There is no anger on my part. It's more of a case of extreme frustration that a company can operate the way MS has and virtually get away with it. Even to this day in all their court dealings very little is stopping their business practices. More frustrating though is the average consumer who blindly believes whatever someone tells them and consistently falls victim to FUD that companies spread.

Again, this topic is not about which hardware or OS is better, it's about the practices of MS. And the original post specific to their moving into the world of DC.

A Great Quote...

"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name... without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
-- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow