Flash modifier/diffuser results and answers

Started Jan 19, 2008 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
denny2020 Contributing Member • Posts: 805
Flash modifier/diffuser results and answers

Thanks everyone for the participating in my survey. Some of the forum members where spot on in knowing the lighting techniques used. Well done. Although the dpreview system crash caused the lost of most peoples posts, I still have a few generalizations although I can't formally do a tally for you.

1. First of all no one likes the direct flash. Shadows are very harsh and doesn't look very natural. However, one must remember that in many occasions direct flash is still required.

2. There isn't really a single lighting method that everyone liked. Which makes sense since different people have different shooting styles and preferences. However, there was definitely two schools of thought. School one- Lighting as even as possible and shadows to a minimal. School Two - Lighting must be directional to give more dimension to face thus lighting oblique lighting. Controlled shadows.

3. Many of the lighting techniques show very similar results in many ways however are subtly very different. That's why many of you chose a few instead of just one.

4. Flash techniques that use bounce methods without any direct flash coming from the flash head (bouncing off back walls and ceilings) seems to cause the camera to underexposure compared to ones that have some light directed forward from flash head (light bounce cards, tupperware diffusion, etc.).

So here are the lighting methods below. The second column of photos is the exposure adjusted photos. Since many wanted to see what the differences become if all the photos are properly adjusted for. Again, thanks for participating.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow