Introduction to Nikon Quality

Started Jan 4, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Phil Tower Regular Member • Posts: 223
Introduction to Nikon Quality

This is my first day as a Nikon guy. I just received the 24-70 from FedEx and later this afternoon the D3 should arrive by UPS.

When I took the 24-70 out of the box I was amazed at the apparent quality jump from Canon to Nikon. None of the L lenses I just sold seem to have nearly the build quality of the 24-70.

The difference in quality was particularly noticeable in the fit and design of the lens hood. With the Canon lenses I was always struggling to get the hood on and off without grinding hood against lens. In addition, everything about the 24-70 just seems more substantial and built to tighter standards (this is a very subjective judgment I will admit).

I've used some Nikon gear casually in the past, but never paid much attention to the details.

I don't know if this quality will extend to the D3 and the other lenses I will buy, but first impressions are important and I'm quite impressed so far. It is becoming increasingly apparent to me that Canon has been asleep at the wheel and resting on its increasingly diminishing laurels for some time.

Having just read Bjorn Rorslet's review of the D3 I'm a little overwhelmed thinking of all I've got to learn to do justice to the D3. I also know I'm going to miss my 24-105L and the additional "reach" of the 1DIII. But I'm not going to miss the inconsistencies in using it, the lack of dependability and all the negativity and doom and gloom that is now permeating the Canon board.
--
Phil Tower

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow