540 let me down Christmas Day

Started Dec 26, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FuzzyUno Regular Member • Posts: 114
540 let me down Christmas Day

I upgraded to the K10D from the K100 a few weeks ago. I always had difficulty with the 540 flash on my K100 and am still having trouble with the k10. I shot about 100 pictures today with various settings and my pictures went from spot on to underexposed.

I've read endlessly on this forum about different settings to try with the 540 to combat underexposure. Link this, change that, increase this...yada, yada, yada.

To obtain a proper exposure, my best luck came with 400 ISO, +.7 flash comp, +.3 exp comp. 1/60, 5.6. Every shot was bounced either with the Sto-fen or "betterbouncecard". I would say 50% of my pictures were acceptable. I shot in user mode, P mode and Av as well as trying green with little change.

I had better results at my house since there isn't a lot of reflective surfaces. But I just returned from my mothers home. You know the house, it looks like a local Hallmark store with the entire inventory out on display? LOL. I know the P-TTL is sensitive to reflective surfaces and found myself constantly moving to look for a "plain" background which resulted in missed shots.

I am a newbie at this whole DSLR and flash stuff. I'm not going to cry about this 540 and leave it in the bag. I want to learn how to use it in "daily life" settings. Can anybody offer some advise that hasn't been posted before since I've read most of the posts.

Maybe I'm missing a setting in the custom menu????

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow