Loosing confidence with the Metz 54...

Started Dec 21, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Poulsan Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Loosing confidence with the Metz 54...

I bought this unit and expected to obtain perfect exposures in auto mode, without preflash as it measures the needed amount of light itself without camera intervention...my first tryout was positive, as I used it in a well-lit room - but also a big amount of underexposed shots

I use it with a Stofen omnibounce on my brand new a700. The omnibounce should not be a problem, I guess the flash in A mode will just send out more light to compensate?

If the place has a white ceiling, I pull off the Stofen, bounce the gun and use the fill-flash as well. Problem still exists, to less degree - but still many underexposed shots.

..however, exposures jump up and down. I normally shoot in A mode. I set the camera for TTL flash ('MANUAL' is greyed out for some reason), as the only I can choose is ADI or TTL. I also tried to shoot in M ('MANUAL' flash is still greyed out). Same result.

Close and well-lit objects seem to get well exposed, however more distant (3 meters) and dark objects get badly underexposed. This is a big problem, as I recently shot a reception area in a large room with different lightning. Persons even fairly close got underexposed, very close got overexposed.

I lost confidence about this unit. Obviously, there are many more things to try (the Metz manual is a NIGHTMARE), but it seems I could use some help here - any clues what I do wrong?

Thanks,
Poul

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow