D300 noise and Capture NX

Started Nov 29, 2007 | Discussions thread
ricko5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,344
Re: thanks for link n/t

I've given NX plenty of chances, IMO the interface is garbage and the application awfully slow although the final results are the best available. For a large shoot like a wedding I find it unuseable. Maybe my machine is getting on a bit - I have a 2xG5 Mac with 4GB of RAM and two monitors. Screen redraw is dreadful even though I have a 256MB graphics card that is very comfortable in Aperture.

WHY do software developers feel like they need to re-invent the wheel? I'm talking about NX's gimmicky vertical title bars and silly little icons. Stick to the native OS look (be it mac or windows) and concentrate on getting the program not to grind to a halt as soon as the user selects one of the more sophisticated options like noise reduction. Of course, the user can get used to these GUI things over time but at the end of the day, they are not consistent with the rest of the system and totally pointless unless I am missing some big advantage in having vertical window bars - whats the point?

It must be quite embarrassing to Nikon to see how fast and snappy ACR is in comparison. I hope Nikon do one of two things:

1: Release capture NX 2 that is useable and get rid of all the gimmicks.

2: Give up trying to develop software and instead, sell us this RAW secret ingredient. I'd gladly pay the same money that NX costs for a plug in or special version of ACR or Aperture that can unlock Nikon's NEF format properly and yields similar results as NX, keeping things like D-lighting but without the associated nonsense.

While we are on the subject, (and to redress the balance of nx vs two of the other most popular converters) is it just me that thinks a lot of these Aperture and Lightroom cataloging and keywording features are just overkill for most of us? Of course, I'm not obliged to buy either of them, but I think both companies are doing a good job of convincing some photographers (including me at first) that they need to constantly keyword and database all their images into a huge library. Both applications are also guilty of changing the user interface, although to be fair to aperture, it's the only one that has really addressed users with two monitors. Why not sell a "lite" version for those of us who just want a converter and do away with all this data-mining overkill?

Give me a RAW converter that gets me great results that will handle batches and large numbers of files with reasonable speed and I'll look after my own house thank you. After all, if a bride who has been married 3 years calls me tomorrow for a specific shot I can locate it within minutes anyway.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LSR
Don
LSR
LSR
MTT
MTT
MTT
MTT
MTT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow