Lens Fine Tune Overrated?

Started Dec 14, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
patrickhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,180
Lens Fine Tune Overrated?

I just got around to playing with the lens fine tune function on the D300. I have the Sigma 30 1.4, Nikkor 80-200 2.8 two ring, and the Tamron 17-50 2.8. I placed my camera on a sturdy bogen tripod and shot different assortments of books and curved medicine bottles to try to determine if any of my lenses could be more accurate after fine tuning.

What I found was all of my lenses looked best without any tuning at all and each one at +5 showed very little difference from 0 when zoomed in on the camera's LCD. I shot all these lenses wide open and at the furthest focal lengths. In the case of the rounded medicine bottles, I found that overall image sharpening probably would make more of a difference then slight fine tuning on the camera.

Has anyone else had any luck with this feature and is there any reason to think all our lenses suffer from front/back focus? If you read these boards it seems like every lens is plagued but I feel pretty good that my lenses are within reason for focus. I know that if I were to print 4x6s or 8x10s, the focus is definitely spot on where you couldn't notice a couple mm off.

Maybe I need another method for testing or maybe I'm looking for differences among too small of a distance (the distance between the text on the edge of a multi vitamen bottle and the part closest to the camera is probably half an inch).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mjs
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow