Canon's 3

Started Dec 13, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lovingtheview Contributing Member • Posts: 807
Canon's 3

Excuse me if this point has already been made. I watch this forum several times a day, and have not seen this particular point being made.

I never, for one minute, believed that Canon's current 3" LCD on the 40D and up, being 230,000 pixels, rather than Nikon and Sony's 920,000. display, was knowingly purchased by Canon to save money. Presuming that Sony is the LCD supplier to both Nikon and Canon, I am guessing that Canon had committed to buying the older, inferior display, and did not learn of the newly avialable 920,000 pixel display until too late. I do not believe that the cost difference is significant, on any production scale.

To have elected to buy the lesser display to save on product costs at a time when Nikon is literally beating Canon's doors down, is unthinkable. The greenest MBA or accountant would not make a mistake that foolish. There was no R&D at issue. To have knowingly assured that their new higher-end dslr's would be using inferior displays for 18 months , displays which could convincingly be sold against by even the poorest retail salesperson, would not be a reasonable corporate decision.

I think Canon must have learned that they bought the newly obsolete display rather soon after their mistake. But it may not have been their mistake actually.

It could be that the Sony OEM salesperson was not allowed to tell the Canon materials purchaser that a new, dramatically better display would soon be available, and that Nikon would be offered it. I would not like to be that Sony salesperson on his/her next call on the Canon parts purchaser. Can it be that long before a Samsung, Sharp, NEC, TI, Toshiba, Hitachi, or LG, has a display which is just as good or better? If my scenario is correct, the Canon buyer just might find himself/herself a new display supplier.

I am quite happy with my 40D's display, but it is not comforting to know that I could have had a better one.

Just thinkin' aloud...

Lovingtheview

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow