Nikon D40 owners - show us your pictures

Started Dec 7, 2007 | Discussions thread
hha Contributing Member • Posts: 577
Re: Nikon D40 ultra low light shot

CubsFanDiana wrote:

Would the D40 and D40x owners please share some of your pictures
taken with this camera?

Here is on taken with my D40: A 16 x 11 degree starfield. Comet P17/Holmes on the right and the doulble cluster in Perseus in the upper left, photographed a week ago from my backyard.

Single 30 second exposure at iso1600, NR off, with a Nikkor Q 85 mm f/1.8 used at full aperture, all in-camera contrast and sharpness settings = normal. Auto white balance. Camera mounted piggyback to a LosMandy GM100 equatorial mount. Saved as high quality jpg, contrast enhanced in IRIS 5.51. The orginal 2000 x 3000 pixel image was resampled to fit on the web page.

The Nikkor Q f/1.8 is from my collection of up to 30 year old Nikon lenses. If you look carefully at the edges of the image, you will see that the lens has a little coma, but not too bad.

There are red, yellow and blue stars, which match the colors in the sky charts. The faintest stars in the picture are mv=+11. The blue halo around the brightest blue stars is an artifact of the colorbalance and some residual chromatic correction error.

hha

hha's gear list:hha's gear list
Olympus TG-630 iHS Nikon D3200 Nikon D3300 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hha
IVN
xzy
nc3
IVN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow