Neat WB trick... LvWB...

Started Dec 7, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Higuma Veteran Member • Posts: 4,418
Neat WB trick... LvWB...

I posted this in the D3 forum but it also applies to the D300 LV mode as well...

If you want to see exactly what manual white balance changes are going to do to your images or want to get a good look at what subtle shifts in Hue or temperature are going to do TRY THIS....

This is what I call "Lazy White Balance" - "Live-view White Balance" or LvRB...

Set LIVE VIEW to Tripod mode...

Select Live view on the release mode dial - press shutter once to activate LV mode...

Looking through the LCD press the WB button on the back and use the scroll wheel to migrate through the settings and view the changes "on screen"...

While doing this you can -
... Change temperatures in the color temp mode by spinning the front dial
or... Change hue in any other modes by spinning the front dial...

Go ahead and give it a try... I used this last night to get a fine tune on the florescent lighting at an event I was shooting... Worked quite well and gave me a infinitely more "interactive" method of seeing the subtle changes as they happened...

Might be real useful for effects shooting like "sunsets and night shooting with lighting involved by allowing you to see changes and tune the scene to what you want...

Certainly... you can always just do a Custom WB but this gives you a m,ore visual interactive fine tuning ability for those times when AWB doesn't give you what you were looking for...

Cheers...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow