Camera Decision

Started Dec 6, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Camera_eye New Member • Posts: 8
Camera Decision

I know these questions get posed in here every hour, but here is my dilemma. My wife, a photo hobbiest with a day job that just had two photos taken with our otherwise servicable point and shoot Cannon Powershot selected to be shown in a (relatively modest) exhibition here in NYC, has asked for a more sophisticated camera for christmas. Since this is in lieu of the usual line-up of gold, precious stones and other such gifts for me, I am indifferent to a degree about the pricing since that simply dictates whether she gets this alone or with something else. Her usual focus is on NYC street scenes and landscapes/seascapes, usually in B/W, although she has more recently become fixated on photographing birds and other less agile wildlife at our house.

So my question to the Nikon experts is, please tell my completely ignorant self for what reason if any, assuming you were spending someone else's money, you would spend the extra $6-700 for the D200, or $1000 for the D300 (assuming I could find one), rather than purchasing the Pentax K10. I fully recognize the lens limitations mentioned everywhere, but it would seem to me for someone not having legacy lenses and shooting a limited range of subjects, the lack of variety would not be an issue, and the relative quality between the lenses seems to be a point of debate though most would agree the Nikon glass is better but far costlier. While my view has always been buying the middle of the road BMW is better than the top of the line Nissan, I am not sure that translates well here. For whatever reason, since starting this search a few weeks ago I have leaned toward the Nikon line rather than Cannon, but the overall feature set of the K10 seems to be a better deal.

Please help, a purchase must be made soon.

Thanks very much.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow