D300 versus 20D continued analysis

Started Dec 5, 2007 | Discussions thread
erichard Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: Very nice, thanks so much for the time put in.

Very nice effort. Thanks very much. This is the type of stuff I've been waiting for.

Looking at the shadows and the "grain", these two were pretty similar:

Trouble is, one is ISO 400 and the other ISO 800.

I think the pixel peeping arguement may be OK if you are doing quick web shots or newspaper photos at small size, but if you are a pro or advanced amateur looking for full artistic capabilies, and photos that in the future may be sized quite large (note the increasing size of LCD's/plasma's), then 100% views are quite relevant to the discussion here.

I have seen some great ISO 800 and below photos from the D300, and for many that will be enough. I've also played with the AF of the 40D, and it is quite fast, even in dim light. I'm hearing the D300 beats out the 40D there most of the time. I wish the 40D had the ability to calibrate the lens focus. As for metering, on the above photos, the leaves may not have been blown with the D300, but perhaps that is not necessarily the subject of the photo. All depends what you want in the middle dynamic range. Colors and tones can generally be corrected in PP, and I've now heard two views on which has better color tone.

The D300 would sure make it easier for me, less ebaying of my lenses, etc. Maybe I'll wait for the coming 5d replacement, or a discounted 5d to resolve the price/performance issues.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gml
jp
jp
jp
jp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow