Build your own MB-D10 ENEL4 battery adaper/door- the "BL-Free"

Started Dec 3, 2007 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
C_4 Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Build your own MB-D10 ENEL4 battery adaper/door- the "BL-Free"

So, I'm coming from a D2Hs to the D300+MB-D10; I have a pile of ENEL4 ENEL4a batteries, which I'm going to use on the new camera.. Dealer has no stock of BL-3 battery door and no ETA on this item.. Well, I figure, I'll just use the AA battery tray for now, but I get home and I look at the provided trays and note that the actual battery door part is just screwed onto the tray, so the engineer mode just kicks in, and I head out to the workshop..

Because I prefer the form factor of the camera with the grip attached, and I have so many ENEL4/4a batteries, I never intend to use the ENEL3e or its tray at all, so that one becomes the sacrificial victim (the AA tray I can see using in an emergency if I ever run out of ENEL4s): I unscrew the door portion off the ENEL3e tray, then I cut up a bit of scrap Kydex material I happen to have left in the workshop from another project, file a couple of "keyhole slots" in to engage the catches on the battery, hold the piece over a butate mini torch to soften it, bend it to shape, drill a few small pilot holes and screw it to the battery door, and I present:

The "BL-free" !!

It's not quite up to Nikon quality, but it looks decent and does the job.. The battery actually locks into the frame with a positive click, and once inserted, there's no rattle or anything.. I didn't destroy the original tray either, just borrowed the door off it: If I ever need the ENEL3e tray back, I just unscrew my little piece of plastic, and put the door back onto the original tray, but IMO Nikon really should be providing a complete set of these battery doors with the grip, especially considering the price of the grip and that the ENEL4 adapter is really just a lump of molded plastic (ok, the Nikon version has a fancy little finger catch on it, but they could just as easily have made a cheaper version with "keyholes" like I did with my home-made version), and I don't believe that the little door portion is actually that costly.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow