D300 noise and Capture NX

Started Nov 29, 2007 | Discussions thread
Ron Marquardt New Member • Posts: 13
Re: This makes me angry!

I don't consider myself an expert on RAW formats, and what tags are supported by what converters, but the following site seems to have the best non-biased review of Nikon RAW format from various cameras. It also makes mention of what tags Adobe (for one - but specifically them due to the earlier controversy that Adobe sparked when it claimed Nikon was keeping NEF too proprietary) interprets, and what they do not.

http://www.rags-int-inc.com/PhotoTechStuff/RawStandards/

From this overview, it sounds like Nikon overall tries to support ISO standards as much as possible, but at issue are tags used/added by Nikon. Much of what Nikon has added appears to specifically address the unique characteristics of a particular camera model and sensor. They appear to be doing so within a standard ISO framework, but with tags that others may not chose to read/apply when they do RAW conversions.

Of course, the write-up at this link may be in error, but my sense is that its pretty well-balanced in its review.

-Ron

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LSR
Don
LSR
LSR
MTT
MTT
MTT
MTT
MTT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow