Is inconsistent matrix metering the first D300 bug?

Started Nov 30, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KennyKB Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Is inconsistent matrix metering the first D300 bug?

Some users say their D300 meters beautifully using matrix metering in all types of light conditions, others say it overexposes with flat colour or expose unpredictably. Initially, I thought that the D300 exposes to the right to preserve shadow details like the D40/D80 but I'm not so sure now. Some users have said that they exchange their cameras and the replacement exposes much better and they are fully satisfied. There's a thread in Nikonians with several such cases.

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=26918&forum=DCForumID202&viewmode=all

What is going on? First the user complaints, he gets a replacement, then he praises the metering. Such cases can't be dismissed as user error or user inexperience as the user is the same. Could this be an early production bug for the D300 which affects some cameras and not others? I think this possibility should not be dismissed outright as we all know from past experience that early production runs can have problems.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
Mjs
Mjs
Mjs
Mjs
Mjs
Mjs
Mjs
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow