Just picked up my D3, my first impressions…

Started Nov 29, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photoforfun Veteran Member • Posts: 6,084
Just picked up my D3, my first impressions…

After 3 months doubting my wife pushed me to buy the D3 instead of the D300(she payed…) and I picked up the camera this morning. I sold my S5pro in the mean time… My wife hopes that I finally found a camera that I can keep for many years…
My first impressions after a couple of hours:

High iso is just incredible, but underwhile everybody knows this… iso 3200 with D3 is at least as good as iso 800 with my S5pro, probably even better while keeping more detail, so this is unbelievable because I was always very happy with the high iso output of my S5pro.

Low iso shots give an amount of detail and crispness that I would not have believed without having the experience myself.
The body is huge but a pleasure to keep in my hands.

Continuous shooting is like gunfire, AF locks on perfectly with every lens I have.
My 105VR doesn’t hunt anymore on this body.

The viewfinder is incredible, the LCD fantastic, but all this everybody knows as well from other threads…

The perhaps only new thing I can add is that my beloved 28-105mmF3.5-4.5 lens works perfect on the D3 and proves that FF sensor is much more forgiving about lens quality as Ken Rockwell states on his website. My old 28-105 will be the walkaround lens on this body. The AF of this 28-105mm works VERY quick on this body, just like it did on my D1X, but now even faster… Up to that the 28-105 doesn’t add weight to this body, which is a welcome factor.

17-35 F2.8 is a pleasure to use for wide-angle pictures, now it became really "wide-angle", VERY wide...

Didn't try my 70-200VR yet...

I had a Canon 5D for about 8 weeks this summer, a camera that I could only appreciate(very much) for the sensor, not for the body, but D3 blows 5D away about image quality output as well (detail, crispness, high iso…).

Don’t know anything about DR output of the D3 yet, and while I don’t have the S5pro anymore I can only guess…

I didn’t make any serious pictures yet, only test-snapshots, which aren’t worth posting here. While it’s raining all day here, perhaps it will take some days before I can use it “in the field”…

D3 seems very expensive, but while seeing the results with this camera even with a 300 euro 28-105 lens, it's worth every penny...
--
Kindest regards,
Stany
I prefer one really good picture in a day over 10 bad ones in a second...

http://www.fotografie.fr/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow