Not much of a conclusion on the GRD2 vs GRD RAW files...

Started Nov 28, 2007 | Discussions thread
ddk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,661
Buy the GRD II if...

you want a small camera that works almost like a dslr in the same great package but with added functionality and great, great speed. In some ways its what we've all been hoping for.

I just received my camera so this is very initial & limited impression.

• Mechanically the GRD 2 seems to be streets ahead of the of the original. The buffer or I should say buffers are amazing, you don't even notice that you're shooting raw anymore. There's no wait time between the shots, I took three consecutive ones last night and the camera was ready for a 4th. I stopped shooting raw with the GRD after the first week that I had it, but now I don't see any reason for not shooting raw.

• GRD2 flash is much better now and wont blow out the subjects at close distances, in fact it worked flawlessly last night. Its useable now, unlike the original which came in handy only in case of an emergency. There's a button for unlocking the flash to avoid accidental flash discharges like the GRD when you accidently hit the flash button without noticing it.

• The mode dial has two new extra choices, My Settings 1 & 2, this is a biggy for me because I had different settings set up for different situations but accessing them through the menu is slow and and I never knew which setting the camera started up in, now its obvious. A new Function button is also added on the back of the camera adding to the great new features of the GRD 2.

I would buy the GRD 2 immediately just for its handling & speed advantages alone, its wonderful and real joy now.

I haven't had the camera long enough to base any kind of opinion regarding GRD vs GRD2 image quality. I feel doing any kind of boring side by side test is a total waste of time since it wont reflect real life situations. Your case is even more difficult since you're so specific in your needs which are very subjective as well. Besides our shooting styles and workflow couldn't be any more different, I doubt that any of my standard samples would help you out, take a look here are a few random GRD shots, I'm sure that you see what I mean. Still if you have something very specific in mind, I'll try to accommodate.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JTI
ddk
ddk
ddk
ddk
ddk
ddk
ddk
ddk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow