Started Nov 26, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mitchall Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
GRD2 RAW files are major improvement on GRD

I've had a look at the RAW files that Pavel has so kindly posted here:

http://ricohforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=472

Thanks for the effort, Pavel.

I converted the RAW files in LightZone and then examined them side-by-side in Photoshop at actual (100%) size and at 50% size, as well as a third comparison adjusting the view to the same size on the monitor. It seems to me that the differences between the GRD2 and the GRD are quite obvious: it's something that hits you right away and you know immediately each time you look which file is form which camera; in other words the difference in the RAW files from the two cameras is quite marked.

Looking at ISO 100, 200, 400 and 800 files the differences are consistent: to me, the GRD2 RAW files have better colour, more contrast, more resolution, somewhat finer grain and the whites are whiter. Generally, therefore, the GRD2 files look quite a bit better, with one issue or potential problem, however: the highlights seem to blow out more easily in the GRD2 files. You can see this in the highlights on the vinegar bottle ("BORGES Ocot") and the mushroom jar behind it.

As for ISO 1600, I also compared the GRD JPG flle with the GRD2 RAW file and found that, with a little increase in contrast, the GRD2 RAW file quickly looked better than the GRD 1600 file in terms of sharpness, contrast and colour, with the grain being a bit sharper and, to me, more pleasing. Similar to the ISO 100 - 800 files, however, the same highlights were blown out in the GRD2 files.

The conclusions on the basis of Pawel's files are that overall the GRD2 files look clearly better, but that there could be a problem with easily blown hightlights.

Pawel, is there any reason from the way the pictures were taken that the highlights in the GRD2 files were blown out?

—Mitch/Paris
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/sets/72157603089594785/show/

P.S.

I reposted this from an earlier thread because some large pictures posted there made the loading of that thread very slow, and I want to make sure that someone will address the issue of the blown highlights so that we can see whether this is an important issue.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow