Started Nov 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 13,990
Re: Nikon finally gets the noise down.

John Sheehy wrote:

The D3 seems to collect about twice as many photons as the Canon 5D
at the same ISO, and has slightly lower read noise at ISO 1600. I
haven't looked at low ISO files yet.

Anyway, it looks like the D3 does what Canon has been failing to do;
maintaining high QE and low high-ISO read noise at the same time.
None of Canon's APS-H and FF digitals have been very efficient in
capturing photons; Canon's high-ISO performance has been due mainly
to low read noise.

John,

I always find your posts interesting and this one is no different yet there seems to be some conflicting information from others if I'm reading things correctly. Your comparisons appear to be with the 5D which is now over 2 years old. Have you performed your evaluation on the 40D as this is Canon's newest sensor technology that is currently available until the 1DS3 starts shipping?

Also, how do your findings / conclusions differ from those in the article linked below regarding use for deep sky photography? The comparisons made between the D3 and 40D seem to have uncovered some unfortunate (for photo astronomers) RAW file manipulations in the D3 files. The author makes a rather bold statement in that the D3 RAW files are not truly RAW and have some missing information. I'm curious as to your take on this.

Thanks,

Bob

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/nikon_test/test.htm

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron
My PBASE page is new and growing so please be patient.

rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
thw
thw
DRG
tko
thw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow