Nikon finally gets the noise down.

Started Nov 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
Amin Sabet
Amin Sabet Veteran Member • Posts: 6,763
Question for John and other knowledgeable folks

Here is a resized photo of my son taken with a Fuji F30:

The EXIF info on that is intact. ISO 1600, f/5, 1/38s

According to Joe Mama and others, my 5D sensor should have, assuming similar sensor technology, about a 4.4 stop advantage over the F30 at equal output size. In other words, a 35mm sensor should, in similar light conditions, be able to produce a similar processed ISO 35,000 shot at this output size. I don't have a RAW processor that will let me push more than four stops, but I have tried taking shots in the same light as that and pushing exactly 4 stops. They look awful. Rob Galbraith's site had a D3 ISO 25,600 example ( http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8745-9153 ). I processed it and downres'd it. Looked okay but still blotchier, noisier, and less detailed than this Fuji snap. Does the Fuji sensor have higher QE? Lower read noise? I have a hard time believing that the Fuji advantage all comes down to in-camera processing because I have thrown a heck of a lot of postprocessing at my 5D RAWs to no avail.

Amin Sabet's gear list:Amin Sabet's gear list
Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
thw
thw
DRG
tko
thw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow