FYI - D3 & D300 reviewed in

Started Nov 12, 2007 | Discussions thread
Higuma Veteran Member • Posts: 4,418
Not too far off...

Here's what I see looking at the photos in the mag...

At lower ISO - up to 800 - and with the NR "off" the D3 and 300 don't look too far apart - after that it is night and day with the 25,600 on the D3 looking quite similar to the d300 at 1600 with NR off... ( 3 stops )

With the NR "engaged" on both cameras the D3's ISO 12,800 is as clean as the d300's 800... again just what my eyes are telling me - Phil's tests will be more conclusive... ( 4 stops )

It does almost seem as though the D3's 800 is NO different than it's 6400...

MOST important in my mind is that the D300 has a much brighter tone curve than the D200 by about a full stop I think - - testing will prove this out but I think that it is a step in the right direction - - I almost ALWAYS need to do a curves / levels adjustment on almost any 200 file... I take this as possibly the greatest improvement in the D200's evolutionary path for a REAL improvement in IQ because it gives the D300 files a better place to start with - - regardless of shooting RAW I want to see a file exposed less than 1/3 of a stop from a highlight clip...

Cheers...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow