A simpler digital camera

Started Nov 1, 2007 | Discussions thread
MR The Guy Senior Member • Posts: 1,066
The Pancake Camera

I think that there is a sizable demand for a very small simplified camera that uses a aps-c sensor

The Pancake Camera. Pentax engineers have stated in an interview they're working on a smaller camera. Not a FF, but a smaller camera. It's really the only thing that could suck any money out of my wallet and I really think it would out-gross any pro or semi-pro camera by double-digit factors in unit volume, dollar volume and profitability.

I don't even think the price has to be really low. It's not like the pancakes are cheap, or for a large segment of the 1st world market, $500 or more is not really a deal breaker. I would like to see all the 'buttons' on a programmable, customizable, touch sensitive back panel like the iPhone. The 'idiot' mode would have one or two 'buttons', the 'advanced' mode would, as I said, be totally programmable (make any and all buttons the size I want, accessing the features that are important to ME) and ideally, open-source.

Also, a round sensor so I could select any aspect ratio I wanted, with high dynamic range so anyone could take a picture with it without worrying so much about exposure.

I would sell it with the DA35mm Macro 2.8 as the 'kit' lens. Finally, waterproof and AA-powered. If they did it right, I would even pay $1,000+ body only for the second generation. No stinkin' useless, over sized, unnecessary FF, nothing over 6MP, but SMALL. A Leica range finder, but better, K Mount, 21st century, and not $8,000.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow