The EVIL Camera Design Project update...

Started Oct 30, 2007 | Discussions thread
OP chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,714
Re: The EVIL Camera Design Project update...

Iskender wrote:

That's a very brave page! Nice work.

I hope you're prepared to deal with the fact that you're ahead of
your time - many will look down on this much like they did with
digital around the year 2000.

Yep. I'm always ahead of most people...gotten used to it. But I'm pleased with the response here on dpr...only a few seem to totally reject the project w/o thinking.

And in a way, everyone is right - most
EVFs today are bad, and removing the optical viewfinder can bring
great rewards.

Strange but true! One of the really strange ideas I have is to make the EVF switch gears...

Only when the camera is accessing AF data do things have to slow down. Even with a fast CMOS sensor and fast processor(s), during repetitive, continuous data access to complete the AF phase, the EVF refresh may have to slow down a bit. But the rest of the time, with a CMOS sensor, only 10% of the pixels need to be read out. This can be quite fast!

So I see the EVF being very fast before half-press. After the shutter is pressed and the initial estimate of the correct focus position is made, the EVF can again be fast. When the lens has slewed to the approximately correct focus position and started the Contrast AF final adjustment, the EVF will refresh slowly for a few mS. Then with half-press held, the EVF will again be fast.

Some people may dislike this variable EVF refresh rate. For them, we'll just black-out the EVF instead of slowing down the refresh, make a flopping mirror sound, and tell them that with the mirror up, the VF can't show anything.

-- hide signature --

Charlie Davis
Nikon 5700 & Sony R1
HomePage: http://www.1derful.info
Bridge Blog: http://www.here-ugo.com/BridgeBlog/

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
BJN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow