canon did it again: 580ex II

Started Oct 29, 2007 | Discussions thread
OP cityphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
how a thyristor sensor works

it's a flash thing. It has no pre-flash, and it cuts the emission when the flash decides that it's enough. Nothing to to with the camera.
I'm using auto flashes for 15 years...

Again the (auto thyristor) flash needs to know the shutter speed, the ISO, the aperture and the zoom: the metz (54 and 58) do it automatically (picking up the info from the hot-shoe), the vivitar needs help because if has just 1 pin on the shoe, the 580II does it automatically as well. It just won't fire but believe me when I say that it has all the info already.

besides, the part where I have to re-enter the ISO and the aperture when the flash already knows about it is hilarious.

for example,: on a 1Ds you set the external metering in auto: the flash shows all the info and if you change the aperture you see it on the flash changing as well ...but if won't fire: what does this tell you?

they restricted the use using the most visible restriction of all: it just won't fire after it gets all the info...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow