Another Great G7/CHDK Benefit!

Started Oct 28, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Abana Senior Member • Posts: 1,603
Another Great G7/CHDK Benefit!

I was playing around with some RAW images I shot today, running them through different converters to see the results. I don't know weather it's the fact that the G7 RAWs aren't specifically supported by the converters or that my limited skills in RAW conversion and editing are the problem, but the results were quite disappointing, and the identical jpg files looked much better. I did, however, discover that turning off NR when shooting jpg makes a huge difference.

In the CHDK RAW Parameters menu, there is an option to turn off noise reduction. Turning off NR applies to RAW and jpg files, even when not shooting RAW. Below are two 160% crops from two identical images shot one after the other. Both were takein using the same settings (see exif) at 400ISO.

The image w/o NR is significantly better, while the image with NR is smeary with a lot of detail lost. These are straight from the G7 with no proccessing other than the crop. Take note of the bulletin board "weave" in the lower right hand corner of both images:

With in-cam noise reduction:

To my eye, the below image (no NR) looks like it has less noise than the image with NR...go figure!

No noise reduction:

It's great to know that even if I can't get decent results from RAW, I can still increase the amount of image detail!

abana

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow