Corner sharpness: Four Thirds vs 35mm (bandwidth warning)

Started Oct 27, 2007 | Discussions thread
joe mama Forum Pro • Posts: 12,623
Re: No need to be careful -- I'll accept the results.

It would be surprising to me to find that the 24-85 / 3.5-4.5
performed better than the 28 / 2.8 in the "corners" of 1.6x but worse
in the corners of 35mm FF. I can't think of any reason why the prime
should be sharper in the center, softer in the mid (corners of 1.6x),
and then sharper in the edges again. I know of no lens that exhibits
such behavior.

Such would be the behavior if a lens cast an image circle that was
marginal for the format. When I read the paragraph, that's what came
to mind.

I'm afraid I don't understand. Are you saying that it's possibly that the 28 / 2.8 might have a much larger image circle than the 24-85 / 3.5-4.5? That would be surprising for sure. I guess it could be possible, but, it doesn't matter regardless.

I don't cherry pick examples between formats. If the 24-85 is at a disadvantage, so be it, let the pics speak for themselves. Of course, if the 24-85 did suck, I would suggest that we might not compare the Tamron 28-75 / 2.8 instead (basically the same range and price). But I wouldn't discount the 24-85 test, either.

My agenda, as always, is the facts. By "facts" I mean comparison pics like Amin has so excellently done. The more of these we have, the more people can make choices for themselves, rather than merely having to take someone else's word for it.

For example, when someone says "soft corners", what, exactly, do they mean? Well, just show the pics. Now you know, right? No more of this "he said, she said" BS.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
thw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow