Corner sharpness: Four Thirds vs 35mm (bandwidth warning)

Started Oct 27, 2007 | Discussions thread
Amin Sabet
OP Amin Sabet Veteran Member • Posts: 6,763
Re: 4/3rds lens gives better coverage

Charles Nguyen wrote:

Also you can try to set at f10/f11 for both cameras and see which one
is sharper. I guarantee you the olymps camera is sharper,.

I will do that at some point since you and others would like to see it. Based on my experience, I wouldn't expect the results you guarantee. I also don't think a sharpness comparison of two different cameras with a kit lens on one and a "random" prime on the other is very important. If anything, I'd rather see a sharpness comparison between two systems with the kit zoom used in both cases. I sincerely hope this thread doesn't turn into another discussion of matching DOF, diffraction, and all that stuff which has been discussed so well in so many threads. You'd like to see an f11 matchup, for whatever reason, I will try to shoot one for you.

selling my 30D and lenses and went back and bought the E-500 with 2
lens kit. I also like the color rendition from SHQ jpegs from Kodak
sensor. Canon colors are ok and don't have that punch like Oly.

My Oly doesn't have a Kodak sensor, but I really like the colors as well. It took me a long time to get a RAW processing workflow for the 5D that gave me the colors I want. With the Olympus, as with my Digilux 2, the colors I want take less work. It isn't a simple matter of the degree of in-camera contrast or saturation either.

Amin Sabet's gear list:Amin Sabet's gear list
Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
thw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow