Canon UK don't care about 1DMK3 problems/owners

Started Oct 23, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Markhc Regular Member • Posts: 165
Canon UK don't care about 1DMK3 problems/owners

Hi all,

Long story short - I am on my seccond 1DMK3 body due to the now infamous AI servo focussing issues. The replacement also has the same issues so I wrote to Canon UK head office complaining, within four days I had a phonecall from Elstree of which the upshot was they do like to look after there customers etc etc. I was asked to send the cam in for them to fix it - I was assured by the person I spoke to on the phone that they would only have the cam for a couple of days, and most importantly that it would work correctly on its return. They received my cam last Wednesday, and of course the news has since broken on the web about the hardware fix - so I sent three e mails to Elstree asking whether my camera would receive the fix - no reply until today. See below:-

"I have looked further into the issue of the 1DmkIII. It seems that the information in regards to a fault and a fix, has not come from Canon, and as such, Canon Europa are not instigating this repair. As discussed, i know that rather than fixing your focus issue and returning it, you would rather we do any fix now, however, we cannot do something that Canon has not yet determined necessary. The official line is that we are unaware, and the information on the web, is essentially third party and cannot be commented on. So, for now, we can put the mark III back up to Canon spec, this should clear your issues, and, if in the future, we determine a new fix, our customers should be contacted from there.

I hope that this goes some way to clearing up the issue. "

To say that I am dissapointed with this corporate line response would be an understatement especially as I took the trouble of enclosing a dvd of suspect images with the camera plus a covering letter with further info to which I have not received any acknowleadgement or response. I think this situation is :-

1. Unacceptable
2. Shows Canon UK do not actually care about their customers.
3. I do not believe that they are not truly aware of the fix now available.

This now means that potentially I am going to have to send the camera back in again if and when Canon UK do acknowledge/know about the hardware fix, which of course means I will lose the use of it for yet another 7-10 days. I am seriously getting to the point of giving up on this, and demanding a refund.What do you guys/girls think?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow