Sigma 17-70 - very nice but mine's got a problem ...

Started Oct 21, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,424
Sigma 17-70 - very nice but mine's got a problem ...

I gave into temptation and got out my credit card yesterday and came home with a nice new 17-70.

After a few shots I can see why everyone raves about it. But when I checked out a few wide angle shots - anywhere near wide angle and at any aperture wider than f5.6 all contrasty edges in the right-hand end of the shot have a fringe: it's not something that is corrected with the normal software treatment of CA (I've tried).

Example (small detail, 100% crop):

Sometimes it's even more obvious, and it's not restricted to full wide angle. Is this a common problem? And if you look at this link to another shot, you'll see that the right-hand half of the frame is completely gone.

http://www.pbase.com/timotheus/image/87595630/original

OK I know this is at f2.8 but even at f8 there's a big difference between right and left.

Is this the dreaded centering issue I've read about? I guess I can exchange it for another one: I just hope it's better.

I got this for a trip to Indonesia (Borobudur) next week, and may not be able to do an exchange in time. What a bummer.

-- hide signature --
 timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow