Found the Elusive MLU Timer!

Started Oct 13, 2007 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dstefan Contributing Member • Posts: 933
Found the Elusive MLU Timer!

I think I found a work around to the MLU not working with the self timer issue. I have to give credit to a previous poster, who I just don't recall, who posted a method for using the Interval Timer with bracketing to quickly rip off a set of brackets. He mentioned that this would work with MLU engaged as well.

I tried his method and it works fine. Occured to me that you could set the interval timer for one or two shots without the bracket feature and use it as an MLU timer. Just tested and it works fine. There are two different ways to set it.

1) From the time you say "OK" for the interval timer to the first shot is about 2-3 seconds. You can set the timer for any length and 1 inteval and 1 shot. There will be the 2-3 second delay, the mirror goes up and the shot happens. Effectively a shot hands off delay timer.

2) Set the timer for the desired delay (say 10 seconds). Set the number of intervals to 2 and shots to 1. After 2-3 seconds the mirror goes up and the first shot happens. Then 10 seconds later, mirror goes up and the second shot happens. You have to take 2 shots to get any different delay from the built in 2-3 second initial delay, but who cares?

There appears to be no way to delay the shutter activation from the mirror up, as you can do if triggering by hand, but this method gives you a method to set the camera for a specific period of time for a remote MLU shot with no human intevention or remote trigger required.

Try it!

David in Phoenix

dstefan's gear list:dstefan's gear list
Nikon D810
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow