new kind of CF card lets you INSTALL to it

Started Oct 10, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
linuxworks Forum Pro • Posts: 18,937
new kind of CF card lets you INSTALL to it

not sure if its the card only or the card and a special kind of adapter. I know the card is important and if its not 'dma capable' then it won't be a proper booting drive that most bios' expect.

this card and this adapter DO work. I just tried it and was able to install win xp to it and boot from it:

its a kingston card and it tests VERY well. see this graph done to compare this card with this controller (red line is this card/adapter):

with the blue line being a 'fast sandisk' reader (its the combo shiny black usb2 sd/cf reader that came out less than a year ago). that used to be the fastest reader I had but now this dma style card and sata interface (!) make it come close to 40mb/sec speed. that's just amazing.

in about 45 minutes I had done a usual cdrom install of winxp onto this CF card via the sata adapter. removed the cdrom and booted it a few times just to prove to myself it would work

I now have a totally silent 'disk' that can boot my home media center. this is pretty cool (grin)

larger photo:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2249/1526460931_93a51434f9_o.jpg

there are more parts to this adapter, btw. the pc rear tab mounting is one that is included but there is also a floppy style front mounting plate that you could use. I think the whole kit was in the $25 range (not including the flash card! that was closer to $75 for 4gig with an ide/dma interface).

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow