Promise Technology Smartstore NS4300N NAS Device

Started Sep 9, 2007 | Discussions thread
creaturejbl Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Promise Technology Smartstore NS4300N NAS Device

Being a UNIX adminitrator, I have been using Promise VTrak in my company for 2 years. They are runnig extremely stable.

Based on previous good experience with their product, I was glad that I found a SOHO product - NS4300N from Promise which can fit into my home usage.

Well, I'm wrong!

Everything are fine untill the smartsync crash and I found I can not modify anything under public. I know there are some permission problem here. Being I cannot login to the box, I call their phone support for help.

Their answer - Yes, this is a well know bug on permission control. They suggest me just return the product to store.

OK, I really want to that but it will take me 2 days to transfer all my data back to my PC.

Gevin you cannot find a better deal on this type of product, I decided try to walk around with it.

What I did is mounting the public directoy to a Linux box with root. And Bingo! I'm able to clear the wrong owner ID in the public directoy by using chown command.

It is still very annoy that I have to do so every time I have permission problem. I hope they can fix the bug ASAP and provide better customer support.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
P-A
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow