NEC 2690WUXi - can it handle regular sRGB?

Started Oct 1, 2007 | Discussions thread
OP Tom_Bruno Senior Member • Posts: 1,358
Re: Another point.

DavidC wrote:

my problem with this display has not been inadequate colour adjustment but the high pitched hum it emits. This is irritating to me in such an expensive display. Despite a remedial trip back to NEC the display continues to hum.

You’re not the only one, David. A number of users have complained about the 2690’s hum on the Hard Forum. Several guys returned their 2690’s because of it, and the replacements still had the noise. One guy recorded the sound as proof of a defect before sending the panel to the repair center. He posted the audio file here:

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a93003.../lcd2690_2.mp3

First you hear background hiss, then the hum, then hiss again as the monitor is turned on & off. It is quite obnoxious. A different guy, who also had the hum, measured the sound as being 191 Hz. Yet another, who also had the hum, recorded it at 207 Hz, guessing that was a harmonic. Not everyone’s panel has it, but unless you get lucky on this issue, it may drive you crazy. Especially as sending it to NEC for repair doesn't seem to fix it.

The Hard Forum 2690 thread is dense and wooly, and a lot to plow through, but mentions of the hum can be found here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1095840&page=45

Also mentioned on that page are the calibration issues with sRGB. If you have time to kill, later pages detail lots more problems with this sRGB calibration snafu.

Apparently, to use the 2690WUXi for general purposes with appropriate colors this is what you have to do:

1.“Dumb it down” by selecting the sRGB mode from the internal menu on the OSD.

2.The factory sRGB preset is NOT accurate for any one computer. Unless you’re very lucky and your PC closely matches the PC that NEC used in their factory, everything except Photoshop type programs will have blown reds and oversaturated colors in the sRGB preset.

3.So, you have to calibrate your graphics card to the 2690’s sRGB mode, and save a profile for that in your computer. Now you’re calibrated in 8 bits, although you paid for 12 bit calibration.

4.To use Photoshop in wide gamut, you access the OSD and turn off sRGB, and turn off your graphics card’s sRGB profile.

5.When you close Photoshop to use the internet, Office, Power Point, and essentially all other programs you have to access the 2690’s OSD, dumb it down to sRGB, open your graphics software and set the sRGB profile you created.
6.This often (usually?) involves rebooting the computer.

7.To edit photos using wide gamut you have to go through each step, and the same steps in reverse order to go back to general use

One way to look at this conundrum is David DRG’s point of view:

It's like having two monitors in one and the extra cost goes to having this extra mode when color accuracy actually matters.

That’s true. But another way to look at it is that it’s a colossal PITA. The question is, does the modest increase in on-screen color gamut justify going through such a hassle, perhaps several times per day?

I'm still pondering. I plan to decide by Sunday, when I go into B&H. I will pick either this troubled screen or the much easier to use NEC 2490WUXi. Most likely the latter, given all these problems. But I’m still thinking. David DRG's point is valid. But I sure don't want that hum.

I haven’t laid my money down yet.
---------------
Tom B

Tom_Bruno's gear list:Tom_Bruno's gear list
Canon G9 X Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HAE
VG
DRG
(unknown member)
7d7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow