NEC 2690WUXi - can it handle regular sRGB?

Started Oct 1, 2007 | Discussions thread
PixelDave Regular Member • Posts: 363
Just got off the phone with NEC

I too am pondering the 2490 or 2690. The Eizo is out of the question because it is a PVA panel.

Anyhow, I spoke with an expert at NEC and this is what he basically told me.

Colors from applications that are non color managed WILL LOOK INCORRECT on the 2690. It's kinda like saving a photo that you edit in ProRGB and uploading it online without converting it to sRGB and stripping the color profile.

There are a couple of solutions, the 2690 has a sRGB color space mode. Unfortunately, this space CANNOT be hardware calibrated. So your expensive 12-bit hardware calibrated 2690 LUT becomes useless while in this mode.

Hardware calibration can ONLY be done while in aRGB space.

So with that said, it sounds like unless you are looking at PhotoShop all day, then it becomes a major PITA to work with a high gamut monitor.

On a further note, the 2190UXi is a highly acclaimed monitor in terms of proper color reproduction. When I asked the NEC rep how the 2490WUxi compared to this monitor he said that could expect the same level of quality.

So with that said, I am going to purchase a 2490 as a color critical AND general purpose monitor.

Dave

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HAE
VG
DRG
(unknown member)
7d7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow