K100D & K10D, shake reduction and 'foreign' optics.

Started Sep 13, 2006 | Discussions thread
captainjacklives2 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: K100D Anti-shake

I'm puzzled by this whole discussion, which seems to be all armchair theorizing, without any empirical evidence.

Pentax's original announcement of the K100D said their anti-shake system was compatable with most of their earlier K-mount lenses: "Lenses compatible with this mechanism are: PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF- and KAF2-mount lenses; screw-mount lenses (with an adapter); and 645- are 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Certain lenses may lose part of their functions." Since their film-era, pre-EXIF lenses don't communicate anything except the aperture setting to the camera, I would presume the anti-shake system doesn't need to know the focal lenght.

Hasn't anyone who owns a K100D checked this out empirically? Set up some sort of resolution target and shoot a sequence of shots (handheld) at a slowish shutter speed (where anti-shake should make a difference), with a recent EXIF-vintage lens, and again with an earlier K-mount lens of the same focal length? Then run the two sequeces through any kind of viewer that permits 1:1 enlargement, to see if there's any measurable difference.

I'd be interested in the results; they might even persuade me to buy a Pentax DSLR.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow