Moon shots

Started Sep 25, 2007 | Discussions thread
bob elkind Veteran Member • Posts: 5,815
To Marianne

I agree with previous poster, your image is the best I've seen with non-astronomy gear. Questions for you on your settings:

• aperture... do you shoot wide open or do you stop the lens down ? You're stacking a f/2.8 with a 2x and 1.4x, you're up to f/8 wide open.

by comparison, I'm using a 500mm/6.3 lens stacked with a 2x TC, leaving effective f/12.6 "wide open", and then I stop the lens to f/8 for sharpness... and now I'm at f/16 (diffraction ? what diffraction ?).

• shutter speed... critical ? not critical ? At f/16 (effective), if I shot at 1/100 sec (the shutter speed in your posted sample) the image would be way undeexposed at ISO100. Are you doing something tricky to get 1/100 sec at ISO100 with your setup, or are you taking an exposure level hit and boosting in PP ? Or am I imagining things, and exposure is just fine at 1/100 sec ?

I appreciate your help, Marianne. Taking the "perfect moon shot" won't solve all of life's problems for me, but it's kind of like buliding your own light sabre if you're a Jedi apprentice... it's a rite of passage, so to speak.

Thanks,

Bob Elkind

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow