I've tried 1Ds mk III...

Started Sep 27, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Drazen Stojcic Buntovnik
Drazen Stojcic Buntovnik New Member • Posts: 9
I've tried 1Ds mk III...

Just tought I'd let on a few initial impressions on 1Ds mk III, which I've had the opportunity to try out yesterday, on Canon's exibition in Zagreb, Croatia.

First of all, the body is basically identical to the one of 1D mk III - something I really like, since I've gotten used to 1D mk III layout very quickly. Placed next to each other, 1Ds mk III and 1D mk III, there's really no way to tell them aparat.

The 2 available bodies of 1Ds mk 3 were officially "preproduction" samples, so I was asked not to post any images online, but I can say IQ is simply outstanding. I've gone straight away and bumped the ISO to 3200 and the grain and color noise are very pleasing. I was especially impressed with the amount of fine detail on such high ISO. I haven't done extensive testing, but it seemed to me that 3200 performance was in fact better then the one on 1D mk 3.

The resolution simply blows you away (I've used it with 70-200 2.8L IS) and I haven't noticed that the sensor was outperforming the lens - something I've seen been tossed around here.

My biggest let-down was the fact that they haven't implemented the live view "drop-down-mirror-focus" option, as with the 40D. I really, really liked this feature on 40D and I'm a bit puzzled as to why they skipped it on 1Ds mk III. Let's hope some firmware will boost the LW usability.

As for the AF system, I haven't really tried out focus-tracking, since there was no time to test it properly. But I can confirm stellar performance in one-shot / central focus point, in poor incandescent light. To be honest, I haven't had focusing issues with 1D mk III either.

-- hide signature --

online photo portfolio
http://www.stojcic.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow